Skip to main content

Life Lessons

Good morning everyone and a happy new years wish to all of you. We have spent the last two weeks celebrating the holidays and enjoying our first holiday season at home… no traveling out of state. Thankfully friends and family were close at hand and we just soaked in the warmth of companionship. Even our dog, Colby, had company in the form of her brother, Sherman, who visited us for 10 days. Born just a year ago they shared their December 27th birthday together. I know this time of year is filled with resolutions and wishes for health and happiness in the year ahead. With all of the troubles of the world caving in upon us each day it is very difficult not to be distracted from the real work in our lives. But as I have watched Colby I realize how much my year has been enriched by the presence of a dog.

At the risk of repeating some often used clichés these are lessons I learned from Colby:

1) wag your tongue less and your tail more
2) make your love unconditional
3) a small bone is a huge gift
4) naps are very good for you
5) go outside for a walk first thing in the morning and just before you go to bed
6) instinct is like stink… just sniff… if it doesn’t smell right it probably isn’t
7) snuggle up to your friends at every possible chance

So if I have a new years resolution it is to follow the example set by those whose lives are far less complicated. I could do no better than to be more like a dog.

Have a great day. Be well. Do good.

P.S. Gussie, our cat, is not in the slightest offended by this blog. She still rules the roost in no uncertain terms and is loved as equally as Gussie. Dogs love unconditionally. Cats have to think about it.

Comments

Michele B said…
Thanks Captain. I love this blog, the pictures, and words of wisdon. I too have learned a lot from the dogs in my life. My ultimate goal is to become the kind of person my dog thinks I am. ;-)

I'm glad Colby got to spend her birthday with family. I wish both canine siblings a happy birthday, as wellas a new year full of good treats and smells.

Abrazos, Mish
Tinker said…
If everyone were more like most dogs, especially Labs, the world would be free from strife. (and we would always be looking for something to eat, appropriate or not)

Popular posts from this blog

Hail Mary

My heart is heavy with sadness as I write this particular blog. Since the beginning of August our dear friend and cook for the last 12 years, Mary Barney, had been struggling with cancer. I have intentionally respected Mary’s privacy and I apologize to you for not sharing any news about Mary’s health sooner. On Monday afternoon Mary passed away very peacefully at home, surrounded by friends and “family”. Her departure was as graceful as the rest of her life. Many people, including Jen, have been doing heroic work to support Mary these last few weeks. Oddly enough Mary was never very excited about transitions though this was about the fastest transition she ever made. And as I struggle to let go of Mary I realize I am terrible with transitions as well. We used to joke about how we liked things just the way they are, thank you very much, so why change what is working already even if it might be less labor intensive. Hard works is its own reward. I used to joke about getting Mary a Cui

Fall Maintenance

Good morning everyone. The sun has been kind to us these past few days and the crew has been spending much time aloft prepping and painting the mast heads and tarring the rig as part of our annual fall maintenance schedule. They were a little silly on tar fumes by the end of the day hence the rat board dance moves. Am I the only one who is reminded of Willy Wonka's little friends at the sight of the crew in their tyvek suits? Schoona-loompas? The smell of tar, after all, is what we sailors live for. Extracted from the stumps and roots of pine trees through dry distillation pine tar will cure what ails you especially some skin conditions and any emotional maladies from being too long away from the sea. All we know for sure is that Mary Day’s rigging is kept hail and hearty by coats of tar mixed with boiled linseed oil. Notice that I specified boiled linseed oil and not raw linseed oil. Tar mix with raw linseed oil will not “kick”. Don’t ask me how I know this… just take my wo

Oh Captain, Oh Captain, Please Don't Rumba!

Good morning everyone. Another 6” of snow fell this weekend and we took a few hours to enjoy the wonders of winter here in New England skiing in the woods. The full Wolf Moon on Saturday causing astronomical high tides plus a 1’ tidal surge brought by the low pressure system meant we had tides over the bulkhead in Camden. At low tide just the opposite happens and the tides dip well below normal. I was able to step to the docks from the beach and get aboard the schooner on Friday after work and all was well. I had an interesting email this morning from a wonderful gentleman looking for a vacation to replace a now defunct “windjammer” sailing experience that formerly sailed in the Caribbean. He sent us a very humorous swashbuckling note, complete with colorful pirate party images, wondering if we might be able to fill the void, complete with canons and limbo parties and would the captain be leading the rumba line? I regretted to tell him that we probably did not offer the booty he was