Skip to main content

Quietude

Good morning everyone. This blog is way too long so you unless you have 2 minutes you may as well just skip to the last paragraph. It took three days but we are finally all dug out. We plowed and shoveled for several hours on Monday and then plowed and shoveled out the neighbors. The weight of the snow snapped limbs off trees everywhere and branches that are normally out of reach arched into the roadways making a snowy slalom course for cars and trucks. Wednesday after an early morning trip helping a neighbor take her pigs to market I borrowed her bucket loader and spent the rest of the day moving snow banks. One resultant bank is about 7 feet tall and 10 feet thick. For those of you sailing with us this summer our kids will have genuine organic homemade Maine snowballs for sale. Please don’t be confused by cheap imitations you might see on TV.

One frequent flyer here on the blog recently wrote a moving comment about caring for our one and only planet. Now I am not here to talk politics or religion but comments like his do give me pause to consider our impact on the world. Moving piles of snow with a bucket loader seems like a luxury when I view old timey photos of snow banks so deep that our monster bank was once the norm.
Around here we burn a lot of wood in the course of a year. Between the house the barn and the schooner we burn 12-14 cords… depending. Most of that wood is processed quickly using some very loud but powerful machinery, not exactly Thoreau's vision of natural splendor but time has value too. Just moving logs out of the woods can take several forms. My dear friend Bruce and I loaded a trailer of spruce sawlogs the other day using nothing more than a line, a snatch block slung high in the air between two tall trees and a pickup truck as the mule. A long line, a little ingenuity, a cant hook and a few well-placed fairleads and, viola, look Ma, no hernia. In another patch of woods our neighbor is currently logging with draft horses. I have very fond memories of a short stint logging with a draft horse in the woods of Vermont when I was in college. It can appear agonizingly slow but in today’s economic terms Thoreau would be pleased. Compare that technology to the skidder just down the road that has been used to drag a healthy pile of large pine and oak logs from the woods in very short order. So there you have it. Three ways of doing the exact same thing. I pass no judgment but do cherish the relationship I have with my dear friend and take a deep breath of the memories stirred by the smell of horses working in the woods. Don’t get me wrong. I get as excited by the smell of diesel as the next guy but I am not sure the skidder admires its work the same these horses appear to. I am thankful to be able to move snow banks with bucket loaders but at the end of the day shutting down the engine and hearing nothing but what nature has to say is precious. You know what I mean?
So this is supposed to be a blog about windjammers and old timey schooners. Well if time has the value I believe it does then time in the slow lane gets the same weight as time in the fast lane. Aboard a windjammer we may not sail fast every day but we usually get there, wherever there might be. And at the end of the day the trip to "there" is very good when surrounded by friends and family and the magnificent quietude of nature.

Have a great day. Be well Do good.

Comments

Michele B said…
Thanks for the lovely blog. I also enjoyed the previous blog and Ed's comment about caring for nature. Regarding moving slowly, I'll take a windjammer any day over a machine-driven vehicle. I work for a software company where everything has to be done yesterday, and multitasking is the only way to get the job done. After being surrounded by high-speed technology 24/7, it is a such a wonderful relief to board the Mary Day and, for one blissful week, just sail away, in no big hurry. My yearly trip is what keeps me (relatively) sane. Thoreau would have loved the Mary Day. :) Hugs to all.
Unknown said…
I don't think I have ever had an outdoor experience to compare with the peace and tranquility after a deep snowfall. The birds have stopped singing, the insects are silent, eveything that moves is muffled by the snow.

After enjoying that peace for a few minutes my Dad would open the front door and yell, "Hey Fritz, when are you gonna get the driveway shovelled?" Then I would begin to hear the grind of the shovel against the driveway pavement.
Michele B said…
Hee hee. Ed, you just brought back memories from my childhood! LOL The sound of shovels scraping on the sidewalk has been replaced by the roar of the snowblower, and kids no longer earn money by shovelling your walk.

If you are feeling nostalgic, come on up! Right now, we are in the middle of a Nor'easter which has already dumped over a foot of snow in NH, and it's still coming down at the rate of 1-2 inches per hr. Our office is closed today, so we are all working from home. Thank God for modern technology! I don't have to take time off without pay, or kill myself trying to get to work. I can work from the comfort of my home, wearing sweats and bunny slippers, while my pooch lies next to my desk, curled up in his bed. To all you readers weathering this nasty storm, please stay safe and warm. Abrazos. 3/2/09 - 8 AM
Unknown said…
Here in the "Heart of Dixie" we had a snowstorm Sunday. Up to 5" fell overnight and into the late morning. About 1:00 pm the sun came out and melted it all away. So a great snow. Kids throughout the area got to throw some snowballs and build snowmen. The snow never accumulated on roads so their Moms and Dads had no problems. Then Monday came and everybody went to work and school.

Popular posts from this blog

Hail Mary

My heart is heavy with sadness as I write this particular blog. Since the beginning of August our dear friend and cook for the last 12 years, Mary Barney, had been struggling with cancer. I have intentionally respected Mary’s privacy and I apologize to you for not sharing any news about Mary’s health sooner. On Monday afternoon Mary passed away very peacefully at home, surrounded by friends and “family”. Her departure was as graceful as the rest of her life. Many people, including Jen, have been doing heroic work to support Mary these last few weeks. Oddly enough Mary was never very excited about transitions though this was about the fastest transition she ever made. And as I struggle to let go of Mary I realize I am terrible with transitions as well. We used to joke about how we liked things just the way they are, thank you very much, so why change what is working already even if it might be less labor intensive. Hard works is its own reward. I used to joke about getting Mary a Cui

Fall Maintenance

Good morning everyone. The sun has been kind to us these past few days and the crew has been spending much time aloft prepping and painting the mast heads and tarring the rig as part of our annual fall maintenance schedule. They were a little silly on tar fumes by the end of the day hence the rat board dance moves. Am I the only one who is reminded of Willy Wonka's little friends at the sight of the crew in their tyvek suits? Schoona-loompas? The smell of tar, after all, is what we sailors live for. Extracted from the stumps and roots of pine trees through dry distillation pine tar will cure what ails you especially some skin conditions and any emotional maladies from being too long away from the sea. All we know for sure is that Mary Day’s rigging is kept hail and hearty by coats of tar mixed with boiled linseed oil. Notice that I specified boiled linseed oil and not raw linseed oil. Tar mix with raw linseed oil will not “kick”. Don’t ask me how I know this… just take my wo

Oh Captain, Oh Captain, Please Don't Rumba!

Good morning everyone. Another 6” of snow fell this weekend and we took a few hours to enjoy the wonders of winter here in New England skiing in the woods. The full Wolf Moon on Saturday causing astronomical high tides plus a 1’ tidal surge brought by the low pressure system meant we had tides over the bulkhead in Camden. At low tide just the opposite happens and the tides dip well below normal. I was able to step to the docks from the beach and get aboard the schooner on Friday after work and all was well. I had an interesting email this morning from a wonderful gentleman looking for a vacation to replace a now defunct “windjammer” sailing experience that formerly sailed in the Caribbean. He sent us a very humorous swashbuckling note, complete with colorful pirate party images, wondering if we might be able to fill the void, complete with canons and limbo parties and would the captain be leading the rumba line? I regretted to tell him that we probably did not offer the booty he was