Skip to main content

Why Maine?

Good morning everyone. Another balmy day in the state of Maine. I am not a huge fan of these thaws. I was just saying to Alex yesterday that if we are going to have winter then let's have winter. Let it snow. Keep the temperatures down in the teens, above or below zero, doesn't much matter. Now I know all this brave talk sounds a little crazy to folks from warmer climates but I do like the cold and this is Maine after all. Just last week we had sea smoke rising from the bay and this week we have humid air turning to fog over snow covered fields just like it does over the cold ocean water during the summer.

Any of you who have watched the comments on this blog have undoubtedly seen comments from Ed and Al. Now you need to understand that Ed and Al keep the lights on in most of Alabama so what they are doing reading this blog is concerning on many levels. Why they would let these fellas out of the state is also beyond me but Ed was recently in Florida for a "conference" and here is what he wrote:

"Sandestin is a resort located on the Gulf along the Florida panhandle. We had a good time being with friends and colleagues we don't often see. The presentations were of some interest and were kept short enough to limit the boredom. I even spent yesterday afternoon out on the Gulf on a charter fishing boat. The weather was great, cool and clear, the water was calm. No wind to speak of so probably a good day to be on a power boat. The fishing wasn't great but any day on the water is better than playing golf (the other "activity" choice). Along with me on the boat were four others from the conference. My best guess is that each of them is slightly more than half my age.

While we were cruising out into the Gulf one of them asked me about my stylish tee-shirt. I explained that it is a limited edition shirt specially designed by Jen Martin for the 2007 sailing season aboard the Mary Day. Inevitably, I was asked about the Mary Day. After four trips aboard and being asked about the trips more times than I can remember, I've got my Mary Day spiel down pat and I spouted out some of the vital statistics like length, beam, gross tonnage, sail area, etc. I always point out that the schooner has no engine and then have to explain about Arno. These are engineers, after all, and are more impressed by the numbers than anything else. I know how to answer the questions, "What do you eat?", "What do you do?", "Do you have to work on board?", and my favorite, "Where do you go?" But then a new one was thrown at me, "Why Maine?" "Why Maine?" I responded in my usual snappy comeback.
"Yeah, why not the Caribbean?" suggested my young friend.

I told them, that for me, Maine is a source of serenity, beauty and magnificence. Maine's summer can be enjoyed without Southern necessities like air conditioning. It's a place I can go and spend my entire waking day outside and feel alive, rejuvenated and refreshed not worn out, dirty and bedraggled. I've never slept better than after a glorious day out of doors in Maine. The summer sky in Maine is a different blue and has whiter clouds than in the South. The quality of the daylight is special and paints the landscape with the vibrant colors of the trees and wildflowers.

No experience on the water can surpass the magnificence of being on the deck of the Mary Day her sails filled, the wind pulling her through the swell on Penobscot bay. I find joy on board in simple things like helping to tack the ship and doing my small part handsomely. My spirit is lifted by the sight and sounds of eagles, loons, dolphins, seals, and wildlife I can't name. Each trip I hone my novice sailing skills. I learn from every member of the crew. It is wonderful to me that a young teen aged girl (Jenny) can teach me how to make a baggy wrinkle.
Every morning I'm up with the dawn anxious for another day's adventure. Not wanting to miss a minute of the experience I stay on deck throughout the day whatever the weather. It's all part of sailing.

So, "Why Maine?" Because that's where the Mary Day is."


Thanks Ed. Have a great day. Be well. Do good. Ed and Al, keep those Alabama lights burning bright.

Comments

Michele B said…
Why Maine? Why not Maine! There is no other place in the world like Maine. As for the Caribbean, that place is SOOOO over-rated. I should know; I lived there.

Maine is the home of the Mary Day, the most beautiful sailing vessel ever to grace the sea. This year I will take my 7th consecutive trip. Like a child awaiting the end of the school year, I will anxiously count the days until I see her waiting for me in Camden harbor.

I may live and work in New Hampshire, but my heart and soul reside in Maine. Why Maine? Because Maine is another word for Home. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Hail Mary

My heart is heavy with sadness as I write this particular blog. Since the beginning of August our dear friend and cook for the last 12 years, Mary Barney, had been struggling with cancer. I have intentionally respected Mary’s privacy and I apologize to you for not sharing any news about Mary’s health sooner. On Monday afternoon Mary passed away very peacefully at home, surrounded by friends and “family”. Her departure was as graceful as the rest of her life. Many people, including Jen, have been doing heroic work to support Mary these last few weeks. Oddly enough Mary was never very excited about transitions though this was about the fastest transition she ever made. And as I struggle to let go of Mary I realize I am terrible with transitions as well. We used to joke about how we liked things just the way they are, thank you very much, so why change what is working already even if it might be less labor intensive. Hard works is its own reward. I used to joke about getting Mary a Cui

Fall Maintenance

Good morning everyone. The sun has been kind to us these past few days and the crew has been spending much time aloft prepping and painting the mast heads and tarring the rig as part of our annual fall maintenance schedule. They were a little silly on tar fumes by the end of the day hence the rat board dance moves. Am I the only one who is reminded of Willy Wonka's little friends at the sight of the crew in their tyvek suits? Schoona-loompas? The smell of tar, after all, is what we sailors live for. Extracted from the stumps and roots of pine trees through dry distillation pine tar will cure what ails you especially some skin conditions and any emotional maladies from being too long away from the sea. All we know for sure is that Mary Day’s rigging is kept hail and hearty by coats of tar mixed with boiled linseed oil. Notice that I specified boiled linseed oil and not raw linseed oil. Tar mix with raw linseed oil will not “kick”. Don’t ask me how I know this… just take my wo

Oh Captain, Oh Captain, Please Don't Rumba!

Good morning everyone. Another 6” of snow fell this weekend and we took a few hours to enjoy the wonders of winter here in New England skiing in the woods. The full Wolf Moon on Saturday causing astronomical high tides plus a 1’ tidal surge brought by the low pressure system meant we had tides over the bulkhead in Camden. At low tide just the opposite happens and the tides dip well below normal. I was able to step to the docks from the beach and get aboard the schooner on Friday after work and all was well. I had an interesting email this morning from a wonderful gentleman looking for a vacation to replace a now defunct “windjammer” sailing experience that formerly sailed in the Caribbean. He sent us a very humorous swashbuckling note, complete with colorful pirate party images, wondering if we might be able to fill the void, complete with canons and limbo parties and would the captain be leading the rumba line? I regretted to tell him that we probably did not offer the booty he was