Skip to main content

For the Love of Rowing

Good morning everyone. We have shoveled out from another 10" of snow. The snow banks are as big as I have seen them in years and with the temperatures dipping into the single numbers we are experiencing that winter cold that makes me feel so alive. I absolutely love it. No one moves slowly in this kind of cold. It is called brisk because that describes how quickly you walk between the house and the barn keeping the wood stoves fed, which by the way, are going through wood briskly. The wind chill this morning is well below zero.

So getting out for exercise, besides shoveling, is not easy. Going for a run takes on a new reality when one is dodging the town plow truck. We take the kids skiing at the Camden Snow Bowl which has a great covering of snow and from which we can see the Bay. But through the grace of good friends we have inherited a rowing machine. And I do love to row. Now the rowing machine in the barn loft is nothing like the real thing but we do enjoy the workout. Seems it runs in the family. Sawyer and I went out to the schooner the other day before it snowed and he chose to row instead of come aboard. I think he got a real kick out of rowing through the ice and snow. I remember last summer when he and Courtney returned from an island foray towing a log. (Where did he learn that trick?) Rowing is always an adventure. But winter rowing has a very different feeling. The ice and snow just magnifies the excitement. Being on the water in the winter is an adventure. Everything in your bones tell you that this could be dangerous. It isn't really any different than summer except that the water is a lot colder but the rowing itself is no different. Sawyer had a blast just dabbling around the schooner while I banged the heavy snow off the cover. Besides which Sawyer kept the skiff from filling with snow while tied alongside.

I am reminded of a story I heard about a yogi who once did a head balance on the edge of Yosemite Falls. When asked if he was scared he replied with the same thought process. Why should I be scared when I practice serenely head balancing every day. So I am sure there is some hole that can be shot through this but why bother. Just go with it and believe that life really can be a function of mind over matter sometimes. For us that applies to cold and snow, rain and fog, mosquitoes and black flies; everything except heat and humidity. I have yet to make friends with the Zen of that combination quite yet.

Have a great day. Be well. Do good.

Comments

Sister Cindy said…
As a child, I would spend my summers with my grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins on a piece of property on Lake Candlewood in CT. Early every morning my grandfather would rise with the sun and row his wooden dorie the length of our side of the lake, thru the morning mist. The water was like glass and he would disappear and reappear like magic and I can remember thinking I could watch him row forever.

Thanks for rekindling that memory!
CB
Unknown said…
When I walked out of my house, south of Birmingham, this morning it was 16 degrees. I thought that fact might be fodder for a comment on the Captain's Blog. So, I get to work, driving briskly I might add, and sit down to break my morning fast. I pulled my Blackberry off my hip, pushed a few buttons to access the Captain's Blog and what do I find? More snow, single digit temperatures, rowing in an icy harbor, keeping the fires lit in the house and barn - and you love it!

Well, me too. Somehow the Yankee in me has not been completely eroded. A bright, sunny, cold morning, like we had today, makes me want to be out in it more than any summer day. I can't begin to say how many people asked me, "Cold enough for ya?" My normal reply, "Just about."
Unknown said…
An update on my comment. I'd rather be outside on a cold, clear, sunny winter's day than a normal, hot, humid summer day here in the South. Now a Maine summer day aboard the Mary Day - that's another thing altogether.

Popular posts from this blog

Hail Mary

My heart is heavy with sadness as I write this particular blog. Since the beginning of August our dear friend and cook for the last 12 years, Mary Barney, had been struggling with cancer. I have intentionally respected Mary’s privacy and I apologize to you for not sharing any news about Mary’s health sooner. On Monday afternoon Mary passed away very peacefully at home, surrounded by friends and “family”. Her departure was as graceful as the rest of her life. Many people, including Jen, have been doing heroic work to support Mary these last few weeks. Oddly enough Mary was never very excited about transitions though this was about the fastest transition she ever made. And as I struggle to let go of Mary I realize I am terrible with transitions as well. We used to joke about how we liked things just the way they are, thank you very much, so why change what is working already even if it might be less labor intensive. Hard works is its own reward. I used to joke about getting Mary a Cui

Fall Maintenance

Good morning everyone. The sun has been kind to us these past few days and the crew has been spending much time aloft prepping and painting the mast heads and tarring the rig as part of our annual fall maintenance schedule. They were a little silly on tar fumes by the end of the day hence the rat board dance moves. Am I the only one who is reminded of Willy Wonka's little friends at the sight of the crew in their tyvek suits? Schoona-loompas? The smell of tar, after all, is what we sailors live for. Extracted from the stumps and roots of pine trees through dry distillation pine tar will cure what ails you especially some skin conditions and any emotional maladies from being too long away from the sea. All we know for sure is that Mary Day’s rigging is kept hail and hearty by coats of tar mixed with boiled linseed oil. Notice that I specified boiled linseed oil and not raw linseed oil. Tar mix with raw linseed oil will not “kick”. Don’t ask me how I know this… just take my wo

Oh Captain, Oh Captain, Please Don't Rumba!

Good morning everyone. Another 6” of snow fell this weekend and we took a few hours to enjoy the wonders of winter here in New England skiing in the woods. The full Wolf Moon on Saturday causing astronomical high tides plus a 1’ tidal surge brought by the low pressure system meant we had tides over the bulkhead in Camden. At low tide just the opposite happens and the tides dip well below normal. I was able to step to the docks from the beach and get aboard the schooner on Friday after work and all was well. I had an interesting email this morning from a wonderful gentleman looking for a vacation to replace a now defunct “windjammer” sailing experience that formerly sailed in the Caribbean. He sent us a very humorous swashbuckling note, complete with colorful pirate party images, wondering if we might be able to fill the void, complete with canons and limbo parties and would the captain be leading the rumba line? I regretted to tell him that we probably did not offer the booty he was