Skip to main content

Down Rigging



Good morning everyone. The down rigging process has begun and with it the emotional change of seasons. Yesterday we all had a big emotional let down. We were all tired (we deserve it) and the thought of not heading out on the bay again for a year was clearly not too exciting. We live for this windjamming thing and I for one will miss the bay. Forgive me if I keep pining away for he summer sailing. I am not too good at transitions.

Shipwright and dear friend Brad Ellsworth came down to help drop the centerboard out of the boat. We did something I have never done before and dragged the board up along the topsides (with a couple of 2X6s for fenders so that we could take measurements for a new one to be built some time this winter. Today we will put the board back in to displace the water in the centerboard trunk. This minimizes the ice build up when things freeze up this winter. Remember that water expands when it freezes so the less the water the less expansion inside the trunk. Using the throat halyards it is a little bit of a rigging trick but it works. You can actually see the scrapes on the board from where it has been pivoted up and down in the trunk over the years. I know some of you would like to see the new one made out of styrofoam. The steel bands that lend support to the forward and after ends is plainly visible. The end of the main boom was lowered over the side and received a coat of paint and varnish to protect it for the winter. Who says you can't bring the mountain to Mohamed. Don't tell Jim Dugan, but it much easier to take untie the lines on the outboard end the sail that way, not that straddling a small slippery stick 12 feet over the water isn't fun.

Have a great day. Be well. Do good.

Comments

Michele B said…
Goodnight beautiful Mary Day. Thanks for the wonderful memories. Have a nice rest. I'll see you next year. Saludos y Abrazos, MB
Unknown said…
Styrofoam? I don't think so. I've manned the centerboard burton a few times and I do appreciate that raising it is one of the heavier jobs aboard. But doesn't the weight of the board add stability as well as acting as an underwater counter to the action of the sails and mast? I'm sure raising the main and fore takes more effort but raising the centerboard is limited by space to three people so it can be a job.
Anonymous said…
I am glad that your season has ended on a high note, although bittersweet that you won't be out there for many months. Seeing the centerboard for the first time, do I see a few nicks in the bottom? At any rate, I enjoy reading your blog as it is the high point of my day to see what is going on in the great north. Keep up the good work, I hope to see you next year....Tink
AL from Alabama said…
When you build the new one, can we have the old one? I thought it would make a wonderful conference room table. However, after further consideration I could not bear to make such a special item have the flow of trivial and useless meeting banter flow across it instead of the fine salt water of the Maine coast. Better to set it adrift and let it end it's life in honor.

Popular posts from this blog

Hail Mary

My heart is heavy with sadness as I write this particular blog. Since the beginning of August our dear friend and cook for the last 12 years, Mary Barney, had been struggling with cancer. I have intentionally respected Mary’s privacy and I apologize to you for not sharing any news about Mary’s health sooner. On Monday afternoon Mary passed away very peacefully at home, surrounded by friends and “family”. Her departure was as graceful as the rest of her life. Many people, including Jen, have been doing heroic work to support Mary these last few weeks. Oddly enough Mary was never very excited about transitions though this was about the fastest transition she ever made. And as I struggle to let go of Mary I realize I am terrible with transitions as well. We used to joke about how we liked things just the way they are, thank you very much, so why change what is working already even if it might be less labor intensive. Hard works is its own reward. I used to joke about getting Mary a Cui

Fall Maintenance

Good morning everyone. The sun has been kind to us these past few days and the crew has been spending much time aloft prepping and painting the mast heads and tarring the rig as part of our annual fall maintenance schedule. They were a little silly on tar fumes by the end of the day hence the rat board dance moves. Am I the only one who is reminded of Willy Wonka's little friends at the sight of the crew in their tyvek suits? Schoona-loompas? The smell of tar, after all, is what we sailors live for. Extracted from the stumps and roots of pine trees through dry distillation pine tar will cure what ails you especially some skin conditions and any emotional maladies from being too long away from the sea. All we know for sure is that Mary Day’s rigging is kept hail and hearty by coats of tar mixed with boiled linseed oil. Notice that I specified boiled linseed oil and not raw linseed oil. Tar mix with raw linseed oil will not “kick”. Don’t ask me how I know this… just take my wo

Oh Captain, Oh Captain, Please Don't Rumba!

Good morning everyone. Another 6” of snow fell this weekend and we took a few hours to enjoy the wonders of winter here in New England skiing in the woods. The full Wolf Moon on Saturday causing astronomical high tides plus a 1’ tidal surge brought by the low pressure system meant we had tides over the bulkhead in Camden. At low tide just the opposite happens and the tides dip well below normal. I was able to step to the docks from the beach and get aboard the schooner on Friday after work and all was well. I had an interesting email this morning from a wonderful gentleman looking for a vacation to replace a now defunct “windjammer” sailing experience that formerly sailed in the Caribbean. He sent us a very humorous swashbuckling note, complete with colorful pirate party images, wondering if we might be able to fill the void, complete with canons and limbo parties and would the captain be leading the rumba line? I regretted to tell him that we probably did not offer the booty he was