Skip to main content

Camp Puckerbrush


Good morning everyone. I believe I have experienced too much of a good thing. I have been unable to make anything go on the computer this week because I filled the entire thing with photos...too many photos. So after several trips to the local big box store an hours drive away I have been able to finally slide a whole pile of pictures onto several back-up drives and clear the decks to take another 7 years worth of photos. Techno weenie I am not. Thanks once again to Jim Dugan for his wisdom and council.
I am often asked what we do when we want to go on vacation. To be truthful we don’t really do vacations around here but we do take a few days here and there to get away, mostly at the grace of others willing to invite us “up-ta-camp.” So last weekend we got away to Camp Puckerbrush on South Twin Lake. Here are a few photos of the inspiration I found in the North Woods of Maine. It was a tad bit chilly in the morning but the days warmed up quickly. Sawyer and I went grouse hunting and we all hiked up Ragged Mt. Mt Katahdin was just magnificent as viewed from my canoe at sunrise. And Bean Hole Beans were a delight... more on that in the next blog. Not wanting to be a hypocrit for encouraging all of you to go for a swim in Maine's bracing ocean temperatures, Sawyer and I took an after dinner dip just to complete that relaxing vacation experience. You can tell how relaxing it was by the expression on Sawyers face.

Have a great day. Be well. Do good.

Comments

Tinker said…
Brrr! You're a better man than I.
Michele B said…
Even the dogs were smart enough to stay out of the water. ;)
Unknown said…
The turkey is just about defrosted and the brine is ready for the bird to go for a very cold dip Wednesday afternoon. The chestnut stuffing will get made Wednesday. The sweet potatoes will be baked and served mashed with plenty of butter. The cauliflower and parsnips will be simmered in milk until soft and mashed with plenty of butter. The broccoli will be chopped, steamed and combined with mushrooms and rice all topped with cheese, and plenty of butter then baked. The pearl onions will get quickly steamed then covered with a bechamel sauce lightly flavored with nutmeg. A white potato salad and ambrosia complete the main menu. Dessert features a pumpkin spice cake, a peach pie, and a pumpkin swirl cheese cake.

It must be Thanksgiving.

It sure reminds me of Friday dinner aboard the Mary Day.

Happy Thanksgiving to one and all. My thanks go out to Jen, Barry, Sawyer and Courtney, and to the crew and all the passengers I've sailed with. Each and every trip has been a unique and wonderful experience.

Popular posts from this blog

Hail Mary

My heart is heavy with sadness as I write this particular blog. Since the beginning of August our dear friend and cook for the last 12 years, Mary Barney, had been struggling with cancer. I have intentionally respected Mary’s privacy and I apologize to you for not sharing any news about Mary’s health sooner. On Monday afternoon Mary passed away very peacefully at home, surrounded by friends and “family”. Her departure was as graceful as the rest of her life. Many people, including Jen, have been doing heroic work to support Mary these last few weeks. Oddly enough Mary was never very excited about transitions though this was about the fastest transition she ever made. And as I struggle to let go of Mary I realize I am terrible with transitions as well. We used to joke about how we liked things just the way they are, thank you very much, so why change what is working already even if it might be less labor intensive. Hard works is its own reward. I used to joke about getting Mary a Cui

Fall Maintenance

Good morning everyone. The sun has been kind to us these past few days and the crew has been spending much time aloft prepping and painting the mast heads and tarring the rig as part of our annual fall maintenance schedule. They were a little silly on tar fumes by the end of the day hence the rat board dance moves. Am I the only one who is reminded of Willy Wonka's little friends at the sight of the crew in their tyvek suits? Schoona-loompas? The smell of tar, after all, is what we sailors live for. Extracted from the stumps and roots of pine trees through dry distillation pine tar will cure what ails you especially some skin conditions and any emotional maladies from being too long away from the sea. All we know for sure is that Mary Day’s rigging is kept hail and hearty by coats of tar mixed with boiled linseed oil. Notice that I specified boiled linseed oil and not raw linseed oil. Tar mix with raw linseed oil will not “kick”. Don’t ask me how I know this… just take my wo

Oh Captain, Oh Captain, Please Don't Rumba!

Good morning everyone. Another 6” of snow fell this weekend and we took a few hours to enjoy the wonders of winter here in New England skiing in the woods. The full Wolf Moon on Saturday causing astronomical high tides plus a 1’ tidal surge brought by the low pressure system meant we had tides over the bulkhead in Camden. At low tide just the opposite happens and the tides dip well below normal. I was able to step to the docks from the beach and get aboard the schooner on Friday after work and all was well. I had an interesting email this morning from a wonderful gentleman looking for a vacation to replace a now defunct “windjammer” sailing experience that formerly sailed in the Caribbean. He sent us a very humorous swashbuckling note, complete with colorful pirate party images, wondering if we might be able to fill the void, complete with canons and limbo parties and would the captain be leading the rumba line? I regretted to tell him that we probably did not offer the booty he was