Skip to main content

A Swarm of Bees


Good morning everyone. Well this post does not have a whole lot to do with windjammers or getting Mary Day ready to sail. We do like the fact that we can make a little bit of the honey and bees products we have on the schooner so it is kinda relative. Really it is just a cool event in our day to day existence... never a boring moment around this place. We took Colby pup for a walk very early yesterday morning and all was quiet. When we returned I was heading down the driveway to go for a run and encountered this. About face I did. There went my run but catching this swarm from our nearby hives was going to be fun.
I wish I could have taken pictures but it was only Jen and I and the box we swept the bees into weighed quite a bit. This was definitely a two person job. You will notice the smoke hazing over some parts of the photos. We were told that the bees are very docile when they are swarming and away from the hive because they have nothing to defend... except the new queen. The moment we swept the bees into the box the air was filled with bees. And I mean thousands of bees. We had prepared a new hive setup in advance and could only hope we captured the new queen as we poured the bees into their new home. They were still there last night so we will keep our fingers crossed. Jen, with the benefit of a full bee keepers outfit, did not get stung even once. I wish I could report the same results but one did mange to get up under my screened hood and stung me on to of the head. Didn't that smart?
I offer up yet another piece of the current puzzle under wraps. Now it should be obvious what we are making.
Have a great day. Be well. Do good.

Comments

Chuck Rasmussen said…
Cool that you take Colby pup out with you. As a runner, I'm glad to read that you saw this while on a run too. I just saw your Bee post. What a great thing to read upon my return from my Saturday a.m. run.
See ya in July.
Chuck Rasmussen/Colorado
Unknown said…
If the block plane and draw knife are clues then I'm sticking with my last guess that you are fabricating a spar. The cross-section must be from where it was cut to square off the end. Main(e) topmast?
MaineCelt said…
Bee-synchronicity! Today we brought bees home to be installed in a new hive at Tir na nOg Farm-- the place Mary Barney used to stay during her "off-season" many years ago. Driving home with the package of bees, we thought to ourselves, "This is something Mary would have approved of." The thought of all those bees--yours and ours--dancing together to some invisible tune is as sweet as honey.
Bob Kellogg said…
I guess that I must change my guess from a 28 person kayak to a spar. The question now is which one? I seems to be about 8" square, maybe a little more. When rounded it could be a jib-boom or a boom for the fore-sail, or even a topmast. Please keep us informed.
Michele B said…
I'm looking forward to buying some of your delicious honey on my next trip.

Popular posts from this blog

Hail Mary

My heart is heavy with sadness as I write this particular blog. Since the beginning of August our dear friend and cook for the last 12 years, Mary Barney, had been struggling with cancer. I have intentionally respected Mary’s privacy and I apologize to you for not sharing any news about Mary’s health sooner. On Monday afternoon Mary passed away very peacefully at home, surrounded by friends and “family”. Her departure was as graceful as the rest of her life. Many people, including Jen, have been doing heroic work to support Mary these last few weeks. Oddly enough Mary was never very excited about transitions though this was about the fastest transition she ever made. And as I struggle to let go of Mary I realize I am terrible with transitions as well. We used to joke about how we liked things just the way they are, thank you very much, so why change what is working already even if it might be less labor intensive. Hard works is its own reward. I used to joke about getting Mary a Cui

Fall Maintenance

Good morning everyone. The sun has been kind to us these past few days and the crew has been spending much time aloft prepping and painting the mast heads and tarring the rig as part of our annual fall maintenance schedule. They were a little silly on tar fumes by the end of the day hence the rat board dance moves. Am I the only one who is reminded of Willy Wonka's little friends at the sight of the crew in their tyvek suits? Schoona-loompas? The smell of tar, after all, is what we sailors live for. Extracted from the stumps and roots of pine trees through dry distillation pine tar will cure what ails you especially some skin conditions and any emotional maladies from being too long away from the sea. All we know for sure is that Mary Day’s rigging is kept hail and hearty by coats of tar mixed with boiled linseed oil. Notice that I specified boiled linseed oil and not raw linseed oil. Tar mix with raw linseed oil will not “kick”. Don’t ask me how I know this… just take my wo

Oh Captain, Oh Captain, Please Don't Rumba!

Good morning everyone. Another 6” of snow fell this weekend and we took a few hours to enjoy the wonders of winter here in New England skiing in the woods. The full Wolf Moon on Saturday causing astronomical high tides plus a 1’ tidal surge brought by the low pressure system meant we had tides over the bulkhead in Camden. At low tide just the opposite happens and the tides dip well below normal. I was able to step to the docks from the beach and get aboard the schooner on Friday after work and all was well. I had an interesting email this morning from a wonderful gentleman looking for a vacation to replace a now defunct “windjammer” sailing experience that formerly sailed in the Caribbean. He sent us a very humorous swashbuckling note, complete with colorful pirate party images, wondering if we might be able to fill the void, complete with canons and limbo parties and would the captain be leading the rumba line? I regretted to tell him that we probably did not offer the booty he was