Skip to main content

Blockfest 2010


Goooood morning everyone. Wow! Time has flown by and I have been quite remiss in my blogging duties. Guilty as charged. Let's go sailing so we can get away from the busy hectic pace of life ashore. I feel like I just sat down to Thanksgiving dinner and I can't begin to eat what I put on the plate in front of me. When people ask us what we do during the winter I often wonder if they envision us sitting by the fire reading good books and drinking tea while the snow gently falls in the woods. Not so much.

The difficulty with sailing all summer is that I never get a chance to tackle all those projects on my to-do list as well as the community activities we enjoy (by the way I have now added snow mobile trail grooming and 63 Willys Jeep restoration to my resume). I will not attempt to list them all but suffice it to say Jen and I fall in to bed at night and scarcely read two paragraphs before slumber takes over. So much for sitting by the fire and reading good books.

In the barn Katie has been joined by Sara for Blockfest 2010. As part of the annual cycle we are tearing down all the blocks, sanding and painting the cheeks, cleaning and greasing the patent bearings, and even replacing a few bearings that have worn with time. With the right combination of bushings I am able to replace the worn patent bearings completely with a relatively maintenance free oilite bearing. The bottom line is that a little extra work now will alleviate alot of work later.

Well that is it for now. Have a great day. Be well. Do good.

Photos by Katie Haugen

Comments

Anonymous said…
A sage once said 'Work is love made visible...' The Mary Day is a love story, after all, n'est pas?

Popular posts from this blog

Hail Mary

My heart is heavy with sadness as I write this particular blog. Since the beginning of August our dear friend and cook for the last 12 years, Mary Barney, had been struggling with cancer. I have intentionally respected Mary’s privacy and I apologize to you for not sharing any news about Mary’s health sooner. On Monday afternoon Mary passed away very peacefully at home, surrounded by friends and “family”. Her departure was as graceful as the rest of her life. Many people, including Jen, have been doing heroic work to support Mary these last few weeks. Oddly enough Mary was never very excited about transitions though this was about the fastest transition she ever made. And as I struggle to let go of Mary I realize I am terrible with transitions as well. We used to joke about how we liked things just the way they are, thank you very much, so why change what is working already even if it might be less labor intensive. Hard works is its own reward. I used to joke about getting Mary a Cui

Fall Maintenance

Good morning everyone. The sun has been kind to us these past few days and the crew has been spending much time aloft prepping and painting the mast heads and tarring the rig as part of our annual fall maintenance schedule. They were a little silly on tar fumes by the end of the day hence the rat board dance moves. Am I the only one who is reminded of Willy Wonka's little friends at the sight of the crew in their tyvek suits? Schoona-loompas? The smell of tar, after all, is what we sailors live for. Extracted from the stumps and roots of pine trees through dry distillation pine tar will cure what ails you especially some skin conditions and any emotional maladies from being too long away from the sea. All we know for sure is that Mary Day’s rigging is kept hail and hearty by coats of tar mixed with boiled linseed oil. Notice that I specified boiled linseed oil and not raw linseed oil. Tar mix with raw linseed oil will not “kick”. Don’t ask me how I know this… just take my wo

Oh Captain, Oh Captain, Please Don't Rumba!

Good morning everyone. Another 6” of snow fell this weekend and we took a few hours to enjoy the wonders of winter here in New England skiing in the woods. The full Wolf Moon on Saturday causing astronomical high tides plus a 1’ tidal surge brought by the low pressure system meant we had tides over the bulkhead in Camden. At low tide just the opposite happens and the tides dip well below normal. I was able to step to the docks from the beach and get aboard the schooner on Friday after work and all was well. I had an interesting email this morning from a wonderful gentleman looking for a vacation to replace a now defunct “windjammer” sailing experience that formerly sailed in the Caribbean. He sent us a very humorous swashbuckling note, complete with colorful pirate party images, wondering if we might be able to fill the void, complete with canons and limbo parties and would the captain be leading the rumba line? I regretted to tell him that we probably did not offer the booty he was