Skip to main content

The Second Mouse

Good morning everyone. Greetings from Smith Cove, just across from
the lovely town of Castine where stately elms line the streets.
Wednesday, Castine was bustling with activity. The schooner Bowdoin
just arrived home from a 5,000 mile voyage and a fleet of classic
wooden racing yachts were gathered for the race to Camden that
happened yesterday. We had a sleepy day yesterday with rain showers
off and on during the afternoon and not much shut-eye from having
stayed up 'til midnight at the Sweet Chariot Folk Festival which by
all accounts was great. We even had the extra bonus of the Sweet
Charioteers coming aboard Mary Day Wednesday afternoon and sharing a
bonus performance as the Hollywood cameras were rolling. Naps were
welcomed whole-heartedly yesterday afternoon. It really was a perfect
day in many ways… not too hard on the senses, a light south easterly
wind, and gentle sailing down the Eggemmoggin Reach.

In the back of my mind I figured we might get to Buck's Harbor for
the night. The showers were just ending around 4 o'clock and several
other boats were anchoring up in the east side of the harbor. I took
a turn in with anchor ready to drop. Things just felt too tight for
me so at the last minute and I decided to head off for parts
unknown. It was about that time that the sun brightened the skies
and we enjoyed a lovely motor sail around to where we are presently
parked for the night. The beautiful part is that Smith Cove is quite
empty at a time of summer when I would expect many yachts holed up
here. Even Castine is relatively empty today. The yachts are back in
full force here on the Maine coast driving some of us crazy. The
radio is a constant cacophony of banter representing a wide variety
of skill and etiquette. But none of that is here today. Just
quiet. Our dear mentor the Major used to say that the lord works in
strange and mysterious ways. I have to constantly remind myself of
this. My heart sank in Buck's Harbor yesterday only to be filled
with joy to have found Smith Cove empty and as lovely as ever.
Porpoise have been circling close in around the boat this morning
showing us their dorsal fins. We can hear them breathing as the
surface, a light fog lying low on the water. It is difficult to
remember sometimes that while the early bird may get the worm it is
the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Have a great day. Be well. Do good.

Comments

Unknown said…
Okay, I've waited two days for someone other than "Special" Ed to ask about the "Hollywood cameras rolling". You can't just throw out a teaser like that and let it lie there. What was the deal? Is the Mary Day about to become a Hollywood star? I think she has a heart of oak not Hollywood. In fact I think it would be very difficult to build a schooner of Hollywood, wouldn't you?
Michele B said…
Mary Day is a star, and in our hearts she shines more brilliantly than any queen of the silver screen. A movie can never capture all of the beauty, mystery, and sheer joy that she represents. You have to experience, first hand, the joy of sailing on the Mary Day for a week. Our dear Captain's descriptions do a good job. I read his missives, then close my eyes, and the noise of the office go away. I'm no longer in a small cubicle. It's early morning and I'm standing on the deck. A mist drapes the shoreline, and a slightly chilly breeze caresses the air. The water laps gently against the side of the boat. Below deck, you can hear a flurry of activity. Breakfast is being prepared. But where I stand, all is peaceful. I wrap my hands around a mug of coffee and sigh! I'm back within the warm embrace of the beautiful Mary Day. Can you tell I am counting the days until I sail again? Hollywood can never capture the experience. You have to live it.

Popular posts from this blog

Hail Mary

My heart is heavy with sadness as I write this particular blog. Since the beginning of August our dear friend and cook for the last 12 years, Mary Barney, had been struggling with cancer. I have intentionally respected Mary’s privacy and I apologize to you for not sharing any news about Mary’s health sooner. On Monday afternoon Mary passed away very peacefully at home, surrounded by friends and “family”. Her departure was as graceful as the rest of her life. Many people, including Jen, have been doing heroic work to support Mary these last few weeks. Oddly enough Mary was never very excited about transitions though this was about the fastest transition she ever made. And as I struggle to let go of Mary I realize I am terrible with transitions as well. We used to joke about how we liked things just the way they are, thank you very much, so why change what is working already even if it might be less labor intensive. Hard works is its own reward. I used to joke about getting Mary a Cui

Fall Maintenance

Good morning everyone. The sun has been kind to us these past few days and the crew has been spending much time aloft prepping and painting the mast heads and tarring the rig as part of our annual fall maintenance schedule. They were a little silly on tar fumes by the end of the day hence the rat board dance moves. Am I the only one who is reminded of Willy Wonka's little friends at the sight of the crew in their tyvek suits? Schoona-loompas? The smell of tar, after all, is what we sailors live for. Extracted from the stumps and roots of pine trees through dry distillation pine tar will cure what ails you especially some skin conditions and any emotional maladies from being too long away from the sea. All we know for sure is that Mary Day’s rigging is kept hail and hearty by coats of tar mixed with boiled linseed oil. Notice that I specified boiled linseed oil and not raw linseed oil. Tar mix with raw linseed oil will not “kick”. Don’t ask me how I know this… just take my wo

Oh Captain, Oh Captain, Please Don't Rumba!

Good morning everyone. Another 6” of snow fell this weekend and we took a few hours to enjoy the wonders of winter here in New England skiing in the woods. The full Wolf Moon on Saturday causing astronomical high tides plus a 1’ tidal surge brought by the low pressure system meant we had tides over the bulkhead in Camden. At low tide just the opposite happens and the tides dip well below normal. I was able to step to the docks from the beach and get aboard the schooner on Friday after work and all was well. I had an interesting email this morning from a wonderful gentleman looking for a vacation to replace a now defunct “windjammer” sailing experience that formerly sailed in the Caribbean. He sent us a very humorous swashbuckling note, complete with colorful pirate party images, wondering if we might be able to fill the void, complete with canons and limbo parties and would the captain be leading the rumba line? I regretted to tell him that we probably did not offer the booty he was