Skip to main content

Winter Arrives


Good morning everyone. Well it has been a while since my last entry. No excuses. Just taking a break here in my random musings. This blog thing takes time and energy both of which have been scarce since the end of the season. I appreciate your patience. I do not always understand how much a season takes out of us. The end of the season let down hits differently every year. We give as much as we can and love every minute of it but it does leave us with an end of the season hangover. Remember the tapes thing I mentioned last blog. I was inspired by Ed who posted a new tape on YouTube. What I appreciated about Ed's video of still shots was the way he made a new tape of sailing Mary Day. It got me thinking that I could re-visualize some old tapes by inserting new images. Thanks Ed!

We spent the last few days getting ready for the big snow event. A last minute check of the schooner, all well, bilges dry, chafe gear in place. Get firewood loaded in to the house and barn. The second round of leaf raking will have to wait 'til next spring. The bees are wrapped in tar paper to give them a little solar gain. I did not get a chance to wrap the fruit tree trunks to protect them from girdling by mice and will have to go down to field this morning before the snow gets too deep. We hiked out in to the woods to get our Christmas tree late yesterday afternoon. The small boats have finally been covered. And 7 cords of firewood are sitting in the wood "pit" waiting for splitting. Elisa has been knocking that out for the last week.
The barn needed a new wood stove installation which was completed last week. Bruce and I have just started building a firewood/storage shed for Mary. With the looks of the forecast I don't think we will be back there until Thursday. The website has been updated. Let us know if you see anything we have missed. The newsletter and Christmas cards are at the printers and should be sent before the end of the year. Just in time for the new brochure which we have been working on as well.


So as you can see we have been a little busy. All this and hunting season too. I have spent a fair amount of time in the woods these past few weeks, early morning and late afternoons in particular. The Appleton Volunteer Fire Department had our first chimney fire of the season at 5 AM this morning. Thankfully things have been quiet with the ambulance but the slick roads today might change that. Drive carefully out there, please! For those of you admiring the 4' wreath on the schooner, our friend Tracy tied that one. It makes all other wreaths look anemic in comparison. Thanks Coach!

Have a great day. Be well. Do good.

Comments

Unknown said…
You're welcome. I had a long day at work today and I only got around to reading the blog at 9:30 PM CST. I was surprised to see you put in a link to my little video. It has had 36 viewings since I posted it Saturday afternoon! Did you ever wonder if anyone reads your blog? Answered.

I sometimes find adding entries to my blog cathartic and I often find reading yours therapeutic.

So, thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

Hail Mary

My heart is heavy with sadness as I write this particular blog. Since the beginning of August our dear friend and cook for the last 12 years, Mary Barney, had been struggling with cancer. I have intentionally respected Mary’s privacy and I apologize to you for not sharing any news about Mary’s health sooner. On Monday afternoon Mary passed away very peacefully at home, surrounded by friends and “family”. Her departure was as graceful as the rest of her life. Many people, including Jen, have been doing heroic work to support Mary these last few weeks. Oddly enough Mary was never very excited about transitions though this was about the fastest transition she ever made. And as I struggle to let go of Mary I realize I am terrible with transitions as well. We used to joke about how we liked things just the way they are, thank you very much, so why change what is working already even if it might be less labor intensive. Hard works is its own reward. I used to joke about getting Mary a Cui

Fall Maintenance

Good morning everyone. The sun has been kind to us these past few days and the crew has been spending much time aloft prepping and painting the mast heads and tarring the rig as part of our annual fall maintenance schedule. They were a little silly on tar fumes by the end of the day hence the rat board dance moves. Am I the only one who is reminded of Willy Wonka's little friends at the sight of the crew in their tyvek suits? Schoona-loompas? The smell of tar, after all, is what we sailors live for. Extracted from the stumps and roots of pine trees through dry distillation pine tar will cure what ails you especially some skin conditions and any emotional maladies from being too long away from the sea. All we know for sure is that Mary Day’s rigging is kept hail and hearty by coats of tar mixed with boiled linseed oil. Notice that I specified boiled linseed oil and not raw linseed oil. Tar mix with raw linseed oil will not “kick”. Don’t ask me how I know this… just take my wo

Oh Captain, Oh Captain, Please Don't Rumba!

Good morning everyone. Another 6” of snow fell this weekend and we took a few hours to enjoy the wonders of winter here in New England skiing in the woods. The full Wolf Moon on Saturday causing astronomical high tides plus a 1’ tidal surge brought by the low pressure system meant we had tides over the bulkhead in Camden. At low tide just the opposite happens and the tides dip well below normal. I was able to step to the docks from the beach and get aboard the schooner on Friday after work and all was well. I had an interesting email this morning from a wonderful gentleman looking for a vacation to replace a now defunct “windjammer” sailing experience that formerly sailed in the Caribbean. He sent us a very humorous swashbuckling note, complete with colorful pirate party images, wondering if we might be able to fill the void, complete with canons and limbo parties and would the captain be leading the rumba line? I regretted to tell him that we probably did not offer the booty he was