Skip to main content

Natural Beauty


Good morning everyone. We have had a wonderful week. Friday was the icing on the cake with a cool NW wind and sunshine aplenty. The NW wind died and went SW with little intermission so our sail was especially good. Wednesday and Thursday were quiet days with afternoon showers and thundershowers, most of which missed us. We were talking on the quarterdeck about how we sail in this little bubble out here. We stayed out of the heat and humidity and away from the hub bub of the mainland.

I have always tried to get the schooner as far from the trappings of life ashore as I can. It is interesting to see how quickly we run for the newspaper or the cell phone when we finally find a town. The message that our naturalists Linda and Turk have conveyed is about taking the time to really look for the goodness in nature. With butterfly net and camera in hand they have guided some very cool explorations ashore and aboard and helped us all take a little closer look at the coast.

I know Linda and Turk were heard by the results that Jim Dugan shared in our “class” slide show last evening. My heart always leaps when I see what others have seen during the week. Jim spent the entire day pouring through hundreds upon hundreds of digital photos taken by everyone aboard. Jim was gratified to see how hard folks worked to experiment with some of his suggestions, framing subjects and capturing light in new ways. The slide show is a way that folks can share with absolutely no judgment and with complete acceptance of what each of us sees through the lens of a camera. Now wouldn’t that be an interesting way to work through conflict resolution. The slide show is also a beautiful example of folks focusing on the beauty and wonder in nature. No one told anyone to focus on beauty in nature. Participants naturally do that which says alot to me about the natural goodness of people. Now how cool is that?

Have a great day. Be well. Do good.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hello to all of you out there! I am thinking about sailing.. and wish I was there with you all for the great Schooner Race on Wednesday. I know it's not about whether you win or lose.. but I know the Mary Day will fair well. Can't wait to hear about the race in this blog! Cap't.. please send all my best to the entire crew.. I'm sure there are some on board I may know.. Wish I were there!!! Be well!

Annie

Popular posts from this blog

Hail Mary

My heart is heavy with sadness as I write this particular blog. Since the beginning of August our dear friend and cook for the last 12 years, Mary Barney, had been struggling with cancer. I have intentionally respected Mary’s privacy and I apologize to you for not sharing any news about Mary’s health sooner. On Monday afternoon Mary passed away very peacefully at home, surrounded by friends and “family”. Her departure was as graceful as the rest of her life. Many people, including Jen, have been doing heroic work to support Mary these last few weeks. Oddly enough Mary was never very excited about transitions though this was about the fastest transition she ever made. And as I struggle to let go of Mary I realize I am terrible with transitions as well. We used to joke about how we liked things just the way they are, thank you very much, so why change what is working already even if it might be less labor intensive. Hard works is its own reward. I used to joke about getting Mary a Cui

Fall Maintenance

Good morning everyone. The sun has been kind to us these past few days and the crew has been spending much time aloft prepping and painting the mast heads and tarring the rig as part of our annual fall maintenance schedule. They were a little silly on tar fumes by the end of the day hence the rat board dance moves. Am I the only one who is reminded of Willy Wonka's little friends at the sight of the crew in their tyvek suits? Schoona-loompas? The smell of tar, after all, is what we sailors live for. Extracted from the stumps and roots of pine trees through dry distillation pine tar will cure what ails you especially some skin conditions and any emotional maladies from being too long away from the sea. All we know for sure is that Mary Day’s rigging is kept hail and hearty by coats of tar mixed with boiled linseed oil. Notice that I specified boiled linseed oil and not raw linseed oil. Tar mix with raw linseed oil will not “kick”. Don’t ask me how I know this… just take my wo

Oh Captain, Oh Captain, Please Don't Rumba!

Good morning everyone. Another 6” of snow fell this weekend and we took a few hours to enjoy the wonders of winter here in New England skiing in the woods. The full Wolf Moon on Saturday causing astronomical high tides plus a 1’ tidal surge brought by the low pressure system meant we had tides over the bulkhead in Camden. At low tide just the opposite happens and the tides dip well below normal. I was able to step to the docks from the beach and get aboard the schooner on Friday after work and all was well. I had an interesting email this morning from a wonderful gentleman looking for a vacation to replace a now defunct “windjammer” sailing experience that formerly sailed in the Caribbean. He sent us a very humorous swashbuckling note, complete with colorful pirate party images, wondering if we might be able to fill the void, complete with canons and limbo parties and would the captain be leading the rumba line? I regretted to tell him that we probably did not offer the booty he was