Skip to main content

Remembering a great cruise




OK...Good Morning...It is some wicked cold out there. 8 below zero. I would tell you about the squeaking snow under foot but the sound actually froze before it could reach my ears.. This is the cold we live for and I love it. I can hear the trees snapping and the popping sound of the deck posts being heaved by the frosty ground. Sawyer and I went aboard the schooner yesterday afternoon while Courtney was in dance class and had to row our way through the skim ice just forming at the head of the harbor.

I was looking through some pictures last night and came across this write-up of one of our windjammer cruises in 2005. I will share this cruise in installments. I remember this one because of the 2 thunderstorms that passed down the bay on the afternoon of the first day. It was a strange weather phenomenon because the heat was actually being pushed back against the land from an off shore front causing the storms to form on the immediate coast instead of over land. Passengers were quite invigorated by the whole thing (Daddy, daddy can we do it again?). We had to take the sails down and anchor twice in one day before reaching our final destination. It is amazing how being so close to the elements helps us feel so alive. Thunderstorms and freezing temperatures have this "clap in the face" way of bringing me in to the present. The clouds that afternoon had a particularly surrealistic layered puffiness about them and the sunset was just stunning.


“July 11th Cruise, 2005

Another beautiful cruise! I have to pinch myself sometimes when I think of how lucky we are to live here. The bay was especially exciting this week. Monday we had a couple of thunderstorms roll through which is actually uncommon for us. We anchored up for both events and rode out the winds and rain which only lasted a few minutes each. We anchored near Stonington Monday evening and were able to get ashore to explore one of the smaller islands as well as do some rowing explorations after supper. “

Stay tuned....more to follow....

Comments

Kevin said…
Hey!! That was quite the day. My first day of sailing ever, and I thought I was going to die. I had no clue what was going on so I tried to just stay out of the way. The rain was coming down so hard, it felt like hail. So basically, it was awesome!
Yours truly,
Jennie

Popular posts from this blog

Hail Mary

My heart is heavy with sadness as I write this particular blog. Since the beginning of August our dear friend and cook for the last 12 years, Mary Barney, had been struggling with cancer. I have intentionally respected Mary’s privacy and I apologize to you for not sharing any news about Mary’s health sooner. On Monday afternoon Mary passed away very peacefully at home, surrounded by friends and “family”. Her departure was as graceful as the rest of her life. Many people, including Jen, have been doing heroic work to support Mary these last few weeks. Oddly enough Mary was never very excited about transitions though this was about the fastest transition she ever made. And as I struggle to let go of Mary I realize I am terrible with transitions as well. We used to joke about how we liked things just the way they are, thank you very much, so why change what is working already even if it might be less labor intensive. Hard works is its own reward. I used to joke about getting Mary a Cui

Fall Maintenance

Good morning everyone. The sun has been kind to us these past few days and the crew has been spending much time aloft prepping and painting the mast heads and tarring the rig as part of our annual fall maintenance schedule. They were a little silly on tar fumes by the end of the day hence the rat board dance moves. Am I the only one who is reminded of Willy Wonka's little friends at the sight of the crew in their tyvek suits? Schoona-loompas? The smell of tar, after all, is what we sailors live for. Extracted from the stumps and roots of pine trees through dry distillation pine tar will cure what ails you especially some skin conditions and any emotional maladies from being too long away from the sea. All we know for sure is that Mary Day’s rigging is kept hail and hearty by coats of tar mixed with boiled linseed oil. Notice that I specified boiled linseed oil and not raw linseed oil. Tar mix with raw linseed oil will not “kick”. Don’t ask me how I know this… just take my wo

Oh Captain, Oh Captain, Please Don't Rumba!

Good morning everyone. Another 6” of snow fell this weekend and we took a few hours to enjoy the wonders of winter here in New England skiing in the woods. The full Wolf Moon on Saturday causing astronomical high tides plus a 1’ tidal surge brought by the low pressure system meant we had tides over the bulkhead in Camden. At low tide just the opposite happens and the tides dip well below normal. I was able to step to the docks from the beach and get aboard the schooner on Friday after work and all was well. I had an interesting email this morning from a wonderful gentleman looking for a vacation to replace a now defunct “windjammer” sailing experience that formerly sailed in the Caribbean. He sent us a very humorous swashbuckling note, complete with colorful pirate party images, wondering if we might be able to fill the void, complete with canons and limbo parties and would the captain be leading the rumba line? I regretted to tell him that we probably did not offer the booty he was